Summer Vegetable & Swiss Gratin
The perfect way to enjoy farmer’s market finds or veggies from your over-abundant garden! Our summer gratin features layers of tender roasted zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes tossed with garlic, herbs, and rich, buttery imported Swiss Cheese. It’s wonderful served over rice or polenta; or with slices of crusty bread to scoop the flavorful juices and luscious melted cheese!
- 4 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 4 medium summer squash thinly sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 TB minced rosemary
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 cups shredded imported Swiss Cheese
- optional chopped chives or basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss zucchini, summer squash, and tomato slices with 1 tsp kosher salt. Line a baking sheet with paper towel and spread a single layer of veggies on paper towel. Cover with a layer of paper towel and another layer of veggies. Repeat layers until all vegetables are covered. Let sit for 30 minutes to remove as much water as possible – pressing down to blot dry when finished.
- In the same large bowl, toss vegetables with remaining salt, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and black pepper. Layer 1/3 vegetables in the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan. Spread 1 cup cheese on top and repeat with two more layers, skipping top layer of cheese. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown. Top with remaining 1 cup shredded imported Swiss and return to oven for 5 minutes to melt. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serves 6-8