Steak and Roquefort Sandwich with Sautéed Veggies
Give your basic steak sandwich a major upgrade with sharp, crumbly imported Roquefort cheese. This sheep’s milk blue cheese from the South of France is classically enjoyed with red meat; here in elegant open faced steak sandwiches that are fancy enough for a party but fast enough for a weeknight.
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 cup mixed sliced red peppers
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 6 thick slices rosemary country bread toasted
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup crumbled imported Roquefort cheese additional for topping
- Optional fresh chopped chives
- Stir together Roquefort Topping ingredients and keep chilled until ready to use. May be made up to 2 days ahead.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Season steak with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium rare or until done to your liking. Let steak rest on a cutting board while you saute the vegetables.
- Coat a large saute pan with olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Cook peppers, mushrooms, and onions for 7-8 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and remaining kosher salt.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain. Layer toasted bread evenly with sautéed vegetables and steak. Top with Roquefort Topping, additional crumbled Roquefort as desired and chives.