Smoky Tomato and Manchego Skillet
This warm, smoky skillet of Mediterranean flavors features the intense, zesty taste of Manchego cheese from Spain. Serve this dish up with crusty bread and a cold Sangria.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 cups pitted Mazanilla olives halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 8-ounce imported Manchego wedge, cut into 7 wedges
- 1/2 baguette cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices, toasted
- Preheat oven to broil. Heat oil in a medium-size cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.Add tomatoes and smoked paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and begin to burst, about 8 to 10 minutes. Using a fork or wooden spoon, smash tomatoes until sauce reaches desired consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in olives and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.Place Manchego slices evenly over tomato sauce. Transfer skillet to oven and broil until cheese is melted, about 1 to 3 minutes. Garnish with parsley. Serve with bread and enjoy.