Manchego Quince Churro Croissant
Layers of flaky, buttery croissant wrapped around Imported Cheese, sweet quince and cinnamon sugar. You've never tasted anything like it.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk 110°F to 115°F
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For filling and assembly:
- 1 1/2 cups quince jelly
- 4 ounces imported manchego, finely grated, plus shaved imported manchego, for garnish
- 2 4-ounce bars dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds roughly chopped
- Whisk yeast, 3 tablespoons sugar and milk together in a small bowl. Let stand until yeast
- is foamy and mixture has cooled to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor and pulse until
- combined. Scatter butter overtop of flour mixture and pulse until butter resembles
- pea-sized shapes. Add yeast mixture and pulse until dough loosely comes together and
- forms a ball. Using your hands, place dough on a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a
- 5x7-inch rectangle. Cover and freezer for 30 minutes until semi-ferm.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into a 9x13-inch rectangle. With the longest
- side facing you, fold dough lengthwise into thirds. Repeat 3 times. With the last fold,
- shape dough into a 5x7-inch rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into a 16x12-inch rectangle. With the longest
- side facing you, cut dough into 8, 2-inch-thick strips.
- Gently stretch the corners and tops, then tightly roll into circles. Place circles onto a
- baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Whisk egg and heavy cream together in a small
- bowl until combined. Brush each croissant with egg wash (reserve egg wash for later use),
- then cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush
- croissants again with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 7 minutes,
- then reduce temperature to 375°F and bake until croissants are dark golden-brown, about
- 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
For filing and assembly: Place chocolate in medium bowl. Simmer cream in a small
- saucepan over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Pour cream over chocolate. Stir in salt and
- paprika until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk jelly and manchego together until combined. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a
- large metal tip. Make a small hole in the side of each croissant and fill with cheese
- mixture. Drizzle chocolate sauce over each croissant. Garnish with shaved manchego,
- and almonds. Serve and enjoy.