Honeyed imported Chèvre Ice Cream w Fresh Berries
Honey and goat cheese are a match made in heaven! And this easy, luscious, super creamy and elegantly flavored ice cream is a wonderful way to enjoy them. Just top with fresh or defrosted frozen berries for a fun and unique dinner party dessert!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- Pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 4 ounces 1/2 cup crumbled imported Chèvre
- Mixed berries or berry sauce for garnish
- Heat cream, milk, honey, and salt in a saucepan until just simmering. Use a glass measuring cup to scoop out some of the hot cream mixture and slowly pour it into the yolks, whisking constantly. Add a second scoop and keep whisking (this is to heat up the yolks and keep them from turning into scrambled eggs in the hot mixture!)
- Add the egg and cream mixture back into the saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Strain the warm cream mixture through a mesh strainer onto the crumbled cheese in a large bowl and whisk until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Cover and cool the mixture in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. Transfer to a container in the freezer to fully harden.
Tip: You can also swirl berry puree or berry sauce directly into the ice cream mixture for a pretty ribboned effect!