Grilled Veggie Panini with Pesto and Imported Havarti
Make an amazing Italian panini at-home with basic cooking gear! A pile of tender grilled veggies is topped with buttery, melty, luscious, imported Havarti and pesto in this easy work from home lunch or fun dinner for two.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 4 1/4 ” thick slices sourdough or country bread
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 8 oz imported Havarti cheese grated or thin sliced
- Core pepper and cut into wide chunks. Trim ends off zucchini and cut lengthwise into 1/8” thick long slices. Cut onion into 1/8” thick rings. Toss vegetables in olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat and coat with cooking spray. Grill vegetables for 5-7 minutes or until lightly charred and tender. Remove grilled vegetables to a plate and reduce heat to low.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1 TB pesto. Top 2 slices of bread with 1/2 of cheese (on top of pesto) and layer with vegetables. Top vegetables with remaining cheese and place 2nd slice of bread on top, pesto-side down.
- Place stacked sandwiches on grill or in grill pan over low heat and lay a heavy cast iron skillet or baking dish on top to weigh down. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side to toast bread and melt cheese. Enjoy warm.
- Tip: You can swap in other grilled veggies too like eggplant, hot peppers, fennel, or summer squash.