Fontina Panini with Mushrooms & Leeks
This “grilled cheese for grownups” features flavorful sautéed mushrooms, leeks, and thyme paired with nutty, creamy, meltingly luscious imported Fontina cheese.
- 1 TB butter divided
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- pinch salt & pepper
- 2 slices country bread
- 1/2 cup grated imported Fontina cheese
- Add 1 tsp butter to a small skillet over medium heat, add leeks, mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until softened and starting to brown.
- Remove from pan to a small bowl and wipe pan clean.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tsp butter on one side only.
- Place cheese on one slice bread (buttered side down), top with sautéed mushroom mixture and 2nd slice of bread (buttered side up).
- Return sandwich to the pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side to toast bread and melt cheese.
- Cut in half or quarters and serve.