Crispy Polenta Bites with Taleggio & Mixed Mushrooms
A swoon-worthy tangle of rich, earthy mushrooms and buttery imported Taleggio cheese top pan-seared polenta slices in this easy party app or side dish. The secret to the speedy prep? Pre-cooked tubes of polenta found in your supermarket’s pasta section! We use plain here but flavored varieties would put a delicious twist on this dish too.
- 1 18 oz tube of pre-made polenta
- 4 tsp olive oil divided
- 3/4 lb imported Taleggio cheese cut into 10 slices
- 4 oz package mixed gourmet mushrooms
- 1 large shallot minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Hot pepper flakes for garnish
- Using a sharp knife, trim the rounded ends of the polenta tube (and reserve for another use), slice polenta into 10, 1/4” thick flat slices. Heat 1 TB olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook polenta slices for 3-4 minutes per side until browned and crispy, working in batches if needed. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and immediately top each with one slice Taleggio cheese. Add remaining tsp olive oil to the pan and sauté mushrooms, shallot, rosemary, salt and pepper for 7-8 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Pile 1 heaping TB of warm mushroom mixture on each polenta slice, garnish with rosemary and hot pepper flakes and serve.