Corn Casserole with Imported Cheddar and Mascarpone
Take advantage of juicy late summer corn in this lightly sweet, rich and savory side dish! Perfect for brunch or to pair with grilled meats or BBQ - we give this casserole a lush finish with both imported mascarpone and cheddar cheeses.
- 2 TB butter
- 2 cups fresh or defrosted frozen corn kernels
- 4 scallions chopped, additional for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz imported mascarpone cheese
- 1 TB flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 TB chopped basil leaves additional for garnish
- 1 1/4 cup coarsely grated imported cheddar cheese divided
- Optional 3 slices crumbled cooked bacon for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie pan or coat with cooking spray.
- Using a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add corn and scallions and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and add mascarpone, flour, salt, cayenne, and basil. Whisk to combine well. Add the corn-scallion mixture to the bowl, as well as 3/4 cup of grated cheddar. Pour into the prepared pie pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheddar and return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt. Garnish with optional bacon and scallions and enjoy!
Tip: You can make this recipe up to a day ahead. Just bring the casserole to room temperature and wait to top with cheddar cheese and heat through just before serving.