Comté Biscuits & Gravy
This southern specialty is a favorite brunch dish, comforting and filling. We're adding Comté to both the biscuit and the gravy! Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground sausage or breakfast sausage
- 6 oz grated Comté
- 1 leek white part only, sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground rosemary optional
- 2.5 cups AP flour
- 2 T double action baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup or 1 stick cold butter
- 1 cup grated Comté
- 2 oz chopped chives keep a tsp for garnish
- 2- inch round cookie cutter
- Pre-heat oven to 425 f.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder & salt.
- Make sure butter is cold, cut into small cubes. Add to dry mix and mix in with your hands or a fork until coarse crumbs pea size form.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Fold over and mix with a fork until incorporated.
- Add chives and grated Comté and mix in. For a light flakey texture do not over mix.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and spread out with your hands into a rectangular shape about 9 inches long. The dough should be a bit sticky and not smooth. Fold the dough into thirds (fold left side over center, then right side, so it's still in a rectangular shape.) Then roll back out (with your hands) to 1-inch thick. Repeat the folding and rolling process twice more, this process will create the flaky layers in your biscuit! Roll the dough out to approx. 10 x 7 rectangle ½" thick and use a 2” cookie cutter to punch out rounds.
- Place them on a parchment paper on a sheet tray. Careful to not twist the cookie cutter as to not pinch the sides closed. This will allow the biscuits to rise.
- Place cut out biscuits in freezer for at least half an hour to an hour.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- Brown sausage in a pan. If you are using breakfast sausage in a casing, cut the casing and squeeze the meat out into the pan. Use your favorite breakfast sausage for this recipe or seasoned Italian sausage meat.
- When the sausage is cooked through add ½ a stick of butter and the leeks to the pan, stir and cook until melted into the meat.
- Add the rest of the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the flour to the meat and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the milk into the mixture and raise heat until to bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat and whisk until gravy begins to thicken about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and ground rosemary. Mix.
- Add grated Comté and stir until cheese melts.
To assemble biscuits and gravy plate:
- Put 2 biscuits on plate, pour gravy over biscuits. Add a poached egg or a fried egg on top for the perfect breakfast. Garnish with chives.