Comté and cherry turnovers
Puff pastry dough, filled with a simple yet sultry filling of cherries dotted with Comté.
- 1, 14 oz sheet puff pastry
- 220 grams cherries or 1 1/2 cups cherries pitted
- 50 grams or 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water lightly whisked together
- 75 grams or 2.75 ounces comté shredded
- 1 teaspoon demerara or turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Defrost your puff pastry dough in the refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours before you’re ready to make the turnovers.
- To a small sauté pan, add the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt. Over medium heat, stir cherries with a spatula or wooden spoon. After the fruit starts bubbling, turn heat to low and use the tip of your spatula to crush around half to two-thirds the cherries. Stir continuously, and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes more, or until the sauce thickens and the cherries have softened. Fresh cherries may need to cook longer.
- Pour the cherries on a plate and spread them out. The filling needs to be cooled completely. Pop your plate in the freezer for around 15 to 20 minutes, or until chilled.
- Once the cherries are chilled, lightly flour a clean kitchen counter. Remove your dough from the fridge and unfold gently onto the countertop. Roll out the dough enough to flatten the creases and create a rectangle around 12 x 12 inches. Cut the dough into nine equal squares.
- Brush the outside 1/2 inch edges of each square with egg wash. Dividing the cherry filling equally, plop a heaped tablespoon of the filling in the center of each square. Top with equal amounts grated Comté.
- Fold the top of each square over to form a triangle and press the edges of the triangle together, then crimp with a fork. Brush lightly with egg wash and prick the tops twice each with the tip of a fork. Sprinkle with demerara sugar. Lay the turnovers on two small sheet pans or large plates and let rest in the freezer for 30 minutes before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Turning halfway, bake the turnovers for 30 minutes or