Buffalo Roquefort and Jamon Pretzel Wreath
This warm soft pretzel is loaded with imported Roquefort cheese and Spanish ham. It's the beautiful, editable table centerpiece for your next party.
- 3/4 cup warm water 110°F to 115°F
- 1 1/2 tablespoons barley malt syrup
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 3/4 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup lager beer room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For filling and assembly:
- 8 ounces Neufchatel room temperature
- 8 ounces imported Roquefort crumbled, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces jamon sec cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons coarse pretzel salt
- For buffalo sauce:
- 3 cups shredded imported sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup red pepper hot sauce
- Combine water, syrup and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Let stand until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add flour, beer, butter and salt and mix on medium-low speed to combine. Mix on medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- For filling and assembly:
- Meanwhile, mix Neufchatel, Roquefort and jamon together in medium bowl until combined. Set aside for filling dough. Preheat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough into 3 balls. Roll each ball into a 24-inch rope. Roll each rope out 4-inches wide. Fill each rope evenly with the Roquefort mixture. Roll ropes back together and pinch edges to seal. Place each rope parallel to each other. Pinch ends together on one side and carefully braid ropes together. Finish by pinching the ends together. Carefully shape braided dough into a wreath by bringing the pinched ends together. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Mix water and baking soda together in a small bowl. Brush the wreath with baking soda mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake until dark golden-brown, about 18-22 minutes. Brush with melted butter, and top with pretzel salt and crumbled Roquefort.
For buffalo sauce:
- Combine cheddar and cornstarch together in a large bowl. Simmer condensed milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in cheddar and hot sauce until smooth. Serve with pretzel wreath and enjoy.