Most people associate Valentine’s Day with cheesy cards, boxes of chocolates, long stemmed roses, teddy bears, and overpriced prix fix menus! But here at I Love Imported Cheese we think of Valentine’s Day as the perfect excuse to celebrate our true love…of luscious imported cheeses of course!
If you have a fellow cheese-lover in your life; here are some super fun and “cheesy in a good way” ideas to celebrate Valentine’s or Galentine’s Day!
♥ Make our Skillet Fondue for 2 or Burrata with Balsamic Glazed Plums and cozy up in front of a fire to play board games and enjoy a Hygge-style night. For more fun ways to set the scene see our piece “How to Hygge in 5 Easy Steps”
♥ Take a virtual trip to Paris! Screen a French language film and treat yourself to an assortment of French cheeses to pair with French wines (see our tips here!) Or make some simple Gougeres with Gruyere and Chives for a classically French nibble.
♥ You can also make like Lady and The Tramp and watch the adorably sweet Disney Classic while you enjoy some comfort food Italian pasta dishes on a red checkered table cloth like our One Pan Cacio e Pepe or Lamb Bolognese with Pappardelle and Grana Padano. Bonus points for re-enacting the infamous spaghetti dinner scene!
♥ Crank up the heat, put on a sundress, and enjoy a romantic, candle-lit, at-home picnic with a shareable Summer Snackboard.
♥ Make breakfast in bed or a host fun bubbly girl’s brunch to celebrate the day and serve Cherry Cheese Crepes with Port Salut, our Rosemary Foccacia Strata and a big fresh fruit salad.
♥ Love cheese and sweet treats too? No problem! There are plenty of ways to enjoy cheeses in dessert dishes like our Baked Apple with Cheddar, Honeyed Chèvre Ice Cream with Berries, Brie and Port Cherry Thumb Print Cookies, or Mini Goat Cheese Cheesecakes Or you can just skip making dinner and go straight to a Cheese Dessert Course.
♥ Who says red heart shaped boxes have to be filled with chocolates? Create a Valentine’s Cheeseboard instead to really knock their socks off! Here are some tips:
- Stop by your local candy store or craft store for a heart shaped box or tray to use to plate your board.
- Try your hand at charcuterie ribbons and roses! Just fold prosciutto or salamis in fan shapes and arrange them in a stream across your plate. To make roses, fold a piece of salami in half into a semicircle. Roll up tightly to make the center of the flower. Then repeat with additional slices of salami folded in half wrapped around the center to build “petals”. Fill in with fresh herbs.
- Add some of your favorite imported cheeses of course! Here we used buttery, nutty Emmentaler, crumbly, crunchy imported Aged Gouda, and a super rich bloomy Fromager d’Affinois.
- Fill in with dried fruit and nuts, pretty fresh berries, and bright olives.
- Include some spreads or drizzles like honey, grainy mustard or jams.
- Don’t be afraid to add a few sweet treats just for fun! Spicy Cinnamon Red Hots are a classic choice that holds up to savory elements, dark chocolate pairs surprisingly well with Aged Gouda, and a pretty heart shaped cookie is sure to make anyone smile.
- Top it off with a fresh flower or two for a Valentine’s Charcuterie Board that’s sure to wow all the Cheese Lover’s in your life!
Happy Valentine’s and Galentine’s Day!